The Forbidden Island and Purple
Last night I dreamed that I was visiting a really huge mansion. There was a wedding or some other big affair coming up, and I lay in bed until the last possible moment and then leapt out of bed fully dressed and ready to go. There were people in suits milling about indoors, while out front kids out on the street were reenacting some press conference in 1940s suits and hats. One was wearing a purple fedora.
Then I was lost at a city intersection under an overpass when I heard a voice call me name. It was my mom on a motorcycle followed by Amy on a bicycle, and they were asking me if a certain video store had the right videos. I went with them to get videos and then went to a hotel room where Lily and a friend (Tyler?) were staying. I got three videos, one of which was a Charlie Chan movie, and I realized no one would enjoy them. While Amy changed clothes (purple again - underwear, this time), Tyler clung to her. I tried to joke with him, saying "who is this? Is it Grandpa Bob?" but he wanted nothing to do with me.
Later, I was looking at photos or something in which a general had brought a bunch of Hickam AFB trays loaded with towels. Then I was on an elaborately decorated excursion boat bound for Hawaii's 'forbidden island,' the existence of which I didn't even remember until I had the dream. A net search reminds me that Niihau is the 'forbidden island.'
On the island, we visited the home of a local family. The patriarch was a huge Hawaiian man, but he was very gracious and asked me what it was like to speak English all the time. I wandered around the home seeking to find out what made the island 'forbidden,' but it was pretty ordinary, except for the fact that they never took down their Christmas decorations, and they had a pop machine and a horse grazing in their living room.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home