Forward, Marsh

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Job tips

My wife relates that my father asked her if I liked my job, and she told him that I did not. Dad replied, "Good. You're not supposed to like your job. That's why they call it a job."

While my father would, I am sure, call himself a realist, I call him a pessimist. There are plenty of people who find work that they enjoy, and for whom going to work is a pleasure. I have personally experienced it before, so I know it is possible.

While you are never going to love your job 100%, here are some tips for making the most of your job.
1. Keep track of your line count hourly. This keeps you moving and gives you a competitive edge and something to shoot for.
2. Look up any the meaning of any word you don't understand. You've got the most powerful research tool in the history of the universe at your fingertips. You might as well put it to use with a few keystrokes and give yourself a free medical education.
3. Pay attention to dialects, accents, and voices. If you want to do voice-overs, this is an invaluable training ground.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home